History of Bennett-Hemenway

History of Bennett-Hemenway

At the annual Town Meeting in 1945, a School Survey Committee of five members was appointed to study the need for expansion and growth of schools in Natick.  This Committee reported back in 1949 with recommendations to build elementary schools in East Natick, West Natick, and most essentially in North Natick, to correct overcrowded conditions.  Therefore, in accordance with a vote at the annual Town Meeting of 1950, the Bennett-Hemenway School of North Natick was conceived in the minds of the School Building Committee.  The original building opened in 1952.  After almost 50 years of use, the old Ben-Hem was replaced. The new building was opened in 2001 and currently has an enrollment of 600 students grades K to 4.

Bennett-Hemenway School was named after two young men from North Natick who gave their lives to their country during World War II.  Harold Bennett was born in Natick in 1924 and attended Natick schools.  He was killed in action in 1945.  Donald Hemenway was born in Worcester, Massachusetts, in 1917, and had his basic schooling in the Natick school system.  He was killed in action in 1943.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.